Your source for winter storm hazard information
Our DisasterAWARE Pro platform, as well as our Disaster Alert™ public app, provides information about winter storms happening around the world. Information is derived from a variety of scientific monitoring agencies.
DisasterAWARE provides information about winter storms when conditions pose a potential for adverse impacts to population or infrastructure and when an authoritative agency issues an advisory.
√ U.S. (Automatically Processed)
√ Global (Manually Processed)
SmartAlert™ Early Warning
for Winter Storms
DisasterAWARE Pro now includes PDC’s proprietary SmartAlert technology. You select the areas and hazards to monitor and we’ll alert you to threats within or approaching those areas automatically.
Severity levels are designated by the authoritative reporting agency. U.S. National Weather Service (NWS) warnings are automatically added to DisasterAWARE in real time.
Professional versions: SMS Text | Email | App Alerts
Public version: App Alerts Only
Be Aware and Prepare
Always heed instructions from local authorities and receive alerts about major hazards from PDC’s DisasterAlert app or on the DisasterAlert website.
If authorities have issued a winter storm warning for your area, find safe shelter right away!
- Stay off roads.
- Stay indoors and dress warmly.
- Prepare for power outages.
- Use generators outside only and away from windows.
- Listen for emergency information and alerts.
- Look for signs of hypothermia and frostbite.
- Check on neighbors.
Live in or plan to visit an area that experiences winter storms?
- Prepare your home to keep out the cold.
- Pay attention to weather reports and warnings of freezing weather and winter storms.
- Gather supplies in case you need to stay home for several days without power.
- Create an emergency supply kit for your car.
- Learn the signs of, and basic treatments for, frostbite and hypothermia.
Real-Time Impact and Needs Assessment
Through DisasterAWARE Pro and Disaster Alert you get access to PDC’s unique exposure modeling capabilities—providing accurate assessments of exposure and need for hazards in any part of the world.
How to access Hazard Brief (available for all hazards)
Helpful Features and Layers
DisasterAWARE provides layers of information to help assess the impacts of winter storms. These include but are not limited to:
• Winter storm warning areas (U.S.)*
• Winds (surface velocity and forecast)*
• Surface air temperature*
• Global weather observations (METAR)*
• U.S. watches, warnings and advisories*
• Land surface temperature anomaly – daytime (8 day)*
• Ship observations*
• Global snow cover (8 day)*
* = For disaster management practitioners only