Your source for tropical cyclone hazard information
Our DisasterAWARE Pro platform, as well as our Disaster Alert™ public app, provides information about tropical cyclones happening around the world. Information is derived from a variety of scientific monitoring agencies.
SmartAlert™ Advanced Early Warning
for Tropical Cyclone Hazards
DisasterAWARE Pro now includes PDC’s proprietary SmartAlert technology. You select the areas and hazards to monitor and we’ll alert you to threats within or approaching those areas automatically.
Severity levels are designated by the authoritative reporting agency.
Professional versions: SMS Text | Email | App Alerts
Public version: App Alerts Only
Be Aware and Prepare
Always heed instructions from local authorities and receive alerts about major hazards from PDC’s DisasterAlert app or on the DisasterAlert website.
If authorities have issued a tropical cyclone/hurricane warning for your area, find safe shelter right away!
- Evacuate if told to do so.
- Take refuge in a designated storm shelter or an interior room for high winds.
- Listen for emergency information and alerts.
- Only use generators outdoors and away from windows.
- Turn Around, Don’t Drown! Do not walk, swim, or drive through flood waters.
Live in or plan to visit an area at-risk of tropical cyclones/hurricanes?
- Know your area’s risk of tropical cyclones/hurricanes.
- Sign up for your community’s warning system.
- If you are at risk for flash flooding, watch for warning signs such as heavy rain.
- Practice going to a safe shelter for high winds. The next best protection is a small, interior, windowless room in a sturdy building on the lowest level that is not subject to flooding.
- Based on your location and community plans, make your own plans for evacuation or sheltering in place.
- Become familiar with your evacuation zone, the evacuation route, and shelter locations.
- Gather needed supplies for at least three days (at least two weeks if in Hawaii or other remote area). Keep in mind each person’s specific needs, including medication. Don’t forget the needs of pets.
- Keep important documents in a safe place or create password-protected digital copies.
- Protect your property. Declutter drains and gutters. Consider hurricane shutters.
Real-Time Impact and Needs Assessment
Through DisasterAWARE Pro and Disaster Alert you get access to PDC’s unique exposure modeling capabilities—providing accurate assessments of exposure and need for hazards in any part of the world.
How to access Hazard Brief (available for all hazards)
Helpful Features and Layers
DisasterAWARE provides layers of information to help assess the impacts of tropical cyclones. These include but are not limited to:
• Potential impacts (TAOS Model) – wind, storm surge, rainfall
• Position and segments
• Winds (surface velocity and forecast)
• Forecast uncertainty (3 day, 5 day)
• Lightning strike density
• Rainfall accumulation (3 hour, 1 day)
• U.S. watches, warnings and advisories*
• Ocean buoys*
* = Available for professional version only